Summertime Noms: Squachini Tomato Salad

Every time I look out into my garden, I swear I think the squash and zucchini have multiplied. They're not quite ready yet because the soil here is mostly clay, but they're getting huge. Like, they've taken over my garden and take up more space than the chicken coop huge.
So to prepare, I am trying to start collecting recipes for things to do with the impending bumper crop that will rain down upon the "Kat" household. Starting with this one that reminds me of the yummy summery salad my BFFern made for my birthday party this year. I probably ate more of that than anything else (except the amazeballs Buffalo Chicken Dip- more on that later). So until next summer, try this:



Squachini Tomato Salad:

  • 1 large summer squash (sliced)
  • 1 large zucchini (sliced)
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
  • 3 Tablespoons olive oil
  • ¼ cup cider vinegar
  • 2 pkts sugar substitute (I prefer Splenda or the generic thereof)
  • ½ teaspoon dried basil
  • ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • Salt and Pepper- to taste
Arrange sliced squash and zucchini in steamer over boiling water. Cover and steam for a minute, then place in cold water to stop cooking. Drain well. Combine squash, zucchini and tomatoes in large bowl. Mix other ingredients in small bowl and pour over vegetables. Toss to coat. Should be served chilled- great to make the night before and serve the next day. 

Approx 3g net carbs per 1/2 cup- not bad!

So, what have you got? What else could I possibly do with all this squash and zucchini?

0 comments:

Post a Comment