Had To Make It: Peanut Brittle


posted from Bloggeroid

I had to do this recipe THREE TIMES before I got it right.
Therefore, I cannot stress this enough: read the directions. Follow them exactly.
OR ELSE.

My mistake the first time was not having a candy thermometer and just trying to 'eyeball' it.

FAIL. I got a chewy gooey mess of stuff that was almost too melty to eat. I snacked anyway. It tasted good and reminded me of a Payday bar (which is my next goal.)

Try #2, got distracted by an 8 yr old girl begging to keep one of my necklaces. Got WAY too dark (as seen below) and then forgot to add the baking soda.


posted from Bloggeroid


FAIL. Again, tasted good so we munched. But still not right and I knew it.

Try #3: Would not be distracted, would not even answer my phone (which of course HAD to ring) but kept my eye glued to the thermometer and kept stirring!

WIN!!!!! Hence the lovely pic at the beginning of this post. Mmmm....

Now I just have to NOT touch it until it cools. I know it will burn me if I do. But I also know it's going to taste perfect!



Ok, here's how you do it....



YOU NEED:


1 cup white sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup water

1 cup peanuts

2 tablespoons butter, softened

1 teaspoon baking soda

Candy Thermometer (seriously DON'T bother if you don't have one. WAIT and go get one.)

Grease a large cookie sheet (sprayed mine with cooking spray, worked just fine). Set aside.

In a pan, over medium heat, bring to a boil the everything but the nuts and soda.
Have that measured and ready.
Cook to 200 degrees, add peanuts.
Set candy thermometer in place, and continue cooking. Stir frequently until temperature reaches 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.

Remove from heat; immediately stir in baking soda until it's just barely mixed in then QUIT STIRRING (over mixing will make it flat and harder); pour at once onto cookie sheet and DON'T TOUCH IT till completely cool.

When it's ready, try to share with others.
I know, I know- it's hard to share noms.

0 comments:

Post a Comment