DIY and Save: Taco Seasoning


Ok, so everybody in our house likes tacos in one way or another. Not everyone likes them in taco shells with all the fixin's though- like our youngest wants it nacho style, the oldest wants it soft taco style, DH wants crunchy...etc. The only problem is, I never EVER remember to pick up taco seasoning at the store, so I NEVER have it when DH says, "Hey, why don't we have tacos?" and I'm pretty well up a creek without the proverbial paddle.
I once read one of those packets you get at the store, and they do NOT sound appetizing either: Yellow Corn Flour, Salt, Maltodextrin, Paprika, Spices, Modified Corn Starch, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color (sulfites).
Really? Spices? What kind- this isn't Dr Pepper or anything, why the mystery? Sugar? No thanks, not in my taco! Citric acid- pshaw. For what? This isn't cheese and it's not bath fizzies.
Anyway, so
One pound of ground meat takes 3-4 tablespoons and around 1/2 c water (I wrote this on the container I keep it in so I don't have to remember!)
Taco Seasoning Mix:
  • ½ cup chili powder
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons oregano
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • ¼ cup cumin
  • ¼ cup salt (I use seasoned salt sometimes)
  • ¼ cup finely ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch

That's it- just mix it around a bit and store in an airtight container. Then you've got Taco Night (or enchiladas or whatever else you can think of) whenever you feel the urge!

OH! And by the way....Don't bother with the perfect taco bowl thingy. Just do this:

(Thanks emilybites.com)


0 comments:

Post a Comment